Golfing at Omni Mount Washington Resort
New Hampshire’s Playground for Golfers and Skiers
Story & Photos by: Ed Stone
|The breathtaking setting of the Omni Mount Washington Resort is incredible.
Since opening in 1902, the Omni Mount Washington Resort has been a favorite for generations. The breathtaking setting for the 200 luxury guest rooms, suites and cottages is one you will want to capture while sitting in one of the white rocking chairs on the two wrap-around porches…one facing sunrise the other sunset. Add to these essentials a 25,000 square-foot spa and salon and a newly renovated Donald Ross 18-hole golf course, plus another 9-holes of the same caliber in the New Hampshire Mountains and you have the perfect golfing resort.
Bretton Woods is about 2 ½ hours north of Boston and is a staple for both winter and summer vacationers in the Northeast. Conceived and built by industrialist Joseph Stickney at the turn of the 20th century, it has been a retreat for presidents, celebrities, heads of state and poets…plus, a lot of people who enjoy a comfortable place for a week or weekend get away. Always famous for its enchanting music, refined dining and luxurious décor, this National Historic Landmark continues to attract couples, families and conference groups. From an architectural aspect, this grand masterpiece of Spanish Renaissance, we are told, was a two-year labor of love for 250 master craftsmen.
Donald Ross designed the original 9-holes of golf in 1895…some seven years prior to the opening of the hotel. Today the Mount Pleasant Course plays out of the same clubhouse as the Mount Washington course. Some of golfing’s greats have played this par 35 that stretches 3,215 yards. For those of you who can remember, you’ll recognize the likes of U.S. Pro Golfer Gilbert Nicholls, Golf Course Designer Alex Findlay, British Golf Champions Harry Vardon and J.W. Taylor, and U.S. Open Golf Champion Willie Anderson. In 1989, the course was restored and upgraded by Cornish & Silva Golf Course Architects with advice from world renowned golfers Gene Sarazen and Ken Venturi and now offers players a more challenging round alongside the Ammonoosuc River.
|The 18-hole, 7,004-yard Mount Washington course plays to a par 72 through the valleys, over streams and across the White Mountains.
The 18-hole, 7,004-yard Mount Washington course plays to a par 72 through the valleys, over streams and across the White Mountains. Certainly the course to play and touted as the choice for visiting golfers. However, the Mount Pleasant course is a nice compliment to this beautiful layout. Ross completed the Mount Washington course in 1915. Playing season is from early May through October.
In the early part of this century, the course was closed and noted Ross renovator and golf architect Brian Silva was brought in to perform his craft in doing a complete renovation to the Mount Washington Course which reopened on August 1, 2008 for play. In playing the course, you will capture some stunning views of the classic hotel, especially from the par-5, hole 11 and the challenging par-3, 5th hole.
The Mount Washington Course was voted "Best Course You Can Play" in New Hampshire by Golfweek Magazine in 2009, 2010 and 2011 and has hosted four New Hampshire Opens as well as the New England Open Championship in September 2010!
Meeting room photos courtesy of Omni Mount Washington Resort
With a total of 30,000 square feet of meeting space, the Omni Mount Washington Resort is a conference planner’s delight. Not only does this historical location lend well for meeting of 20 to 600 people, the space is well appointed satisfying every need a gathering requires. It is well to note the 1944 Bretton Woods International Monetary Conference was held in this location and continues to host dozens of political, business and artistic gatherings annually. In January 2009, the Omni Mount Washington Resort opened the Presidential Wing, laying claim as one of the largest meeting spaces in Northern New Hampshire,
|There are two wraparound verandas looking East and West with some awesome views of the White Mountains and golf courses.
In addition to being in one of the most beautiful locations to allow more freedom of thinking and doing business, the Hotel offers the formal Grand Ballroom, an informal wraparound veranda, various sizes of meeting rooms that are perfect for a wide range of meetings, training sessions, customer presentations, team-building seminars and strategic planning retreats. Add to all of these first-class facilities, there is seemingly a never-ending range of outdoor activities both in the summer and the winter, offering something for every age and interest.
Recently, a $60 million expansion and renovation was completed, including guest rooms, public areas and dining facilities, complementing the recent additions of a signature spa and the thrilling year-round canopy tour.
In addition to being an ideal golfing resort, the Omni Mount Washington Resort offers the winter visitor some of the best snow skiing in the Northeast. Bretton Woods is the state’s largest ski area with 434 acres of skiing and snowboarding. It offers 101 trails and glades, as well as four terrain parks, ten ski lifts. The area has been voted "Best in the East for Weather" by SKI magazine. Night skiing and riding is also offered.
The offerings at the Omni Mount Washington Resort are perfect for the golfer, skier, nature lover, and conventioneer or relaxing in an atmosphere of history, comfort and scenic beauty. And by the way, fall colors are some of the most brilliant you will find on this planet. Certainly a place for all seasons.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Omni Mount Washington Resort
310 Mt Washington Hotel Road
Bretton Woods, New Hampshire 03575
VIEW A BRIEF VIDEO OF GOLFING IN NEW ENGLAND, USA.
To read a historic timeline of the Omni Mount Washington Resort, click here.
- One of the longest zip-line tours in New England (open year roun
- Recently renovated 18-hole Donald Ross designed golf course
- Nordic Skiing and Alpine Skiing in the winter at Bretton Woods – New Hampshire’s largest ski area
- Fine and casual dining including two four-diamond dining rooms and the all-new Stickneys restaurant and the renovated “Cave” – a former speakeasy
- Numerous resort activities including fishing, hiking, horseback riding, sleigh rides and more.
- Located 160 miles from Boston, 350 miles from New York, 95 miles from Portland, ME, 185 miles from Montreal and 240 miles from Hartford, CT
- Check-in: 3 p.m. Checkout: 11 a.m.
Awards and Accolades:
- The Omni Mount Washington Resort received GolfWeek’s 2010 Best Courses You Can Play.
- The Omni Mount Washington Resort was named one of the best in New Hampshire by Yankee magazine for Best Grand Hotel with a Spa and Best Zipline Experience.
- Yankee magazine named the Omni Mount Washington as “Best of New England” for large hotels and luxury hotels.
- Parent’s Magazine named the Omni Mount Washington Resort to its Top 10 Ski Resorts for Families (2009)
- Award of Excellence, the Dining Room at The Mount Washington Hotel and the Dining Room at The Bretton Arms, Wine Spectator (2009, 2010)
- Best Honeymoon Spot, Mount Washington Resort, New Hampshire’s “Best of Bride” (2009)
- #1 Public Golf Course in New Hampshire, Mount Washington Golf Course, Golfweek (2009)
- 10 Best Mountain Hotels in the World, The Mount Washington Hotel, ForbesTraveler.com (2009)
- Award of Excellence, the Dining Room at The Mount Washington Hotel, Distinguished Restaurants of North America (2007 - 2009)
- Four-Diamond rating, The Dining Room at The Mount Washington Hotel, AAA (2008, 2009)Top 100 Private Companies in New Hampshire, Business NH Magazine (2008)
- “Best of the Best,” Ski Area Management (2008)
- Top 25 Ski Hotels, The Mount Washington Hotel, Condé Nast Traveler (2007, 2008)
- Top 10 in North America for Family Programs, Grooming and Scenery, SKI magazine (2006 - 2008)
- National Historic Landmark