Over 100 Years of Banff Golf
Kicks off Canadian Rockies
(ALBERTA, Canada) – The Canadian Rockies Golf Consortia (canadianrockiesgolf.ca) celebrated 100 years of golf in Banff recently, along with new course upgrades and activities off the links, reports the Alberta destination.
|The 14th hole at Bamff Springs Golf Course.
The Fairmont Banff Springs Golf Club will honor the centenary with a commemorative book and events, as they pay homage to those who have shaped the course located within a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
“The Fairmont Banff Springs Golf Course connects nature with the ancient game of golf in ways few can claim,” said Director of Golf Steven Young. ”Breath-taking scenery complements Stanley Thompson’s genius layout on this extraordinary land.”
|Celebrating its 85th Anniversary this year, Canmore Golf and Curling Club will give itself a new second hole as a gift.
Celebrating, recently its 85th Anniversary, Canmore Golf and Curling Club gave itself a new second hole as a gift, along with several other upgrades to the course.
The course’s abandoned 11th hole will be reversed and used as the new par-3 second, situated adjacent to the old No. 2. The new routing will take advantage of water features and a challenging approach to the new green that demands precision.
Seven other holes have been positively impacted in the winter project with new tee boxes, bunker development, or mounding, creating both visual and playing challenge.
The clubhouse will also finish renovations, which will include a two-sided fireplace on its windowed back wall, offering wondrous views of the mountains.
|The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge’s new spa will be ready for the 2011 golf season.
The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge’s new spa is ready for the golf season with a series of services to complement a round of golf on its historic course. The Golf and Spa Retreat is chief among them – a 90-minute service that includes a stretch massage, foot bath and hydrating wrap. A Golfers Massage and Active Outdoors Facial are also on the list of services offered at the 10,000 square-foot facility, located on the new Promenade shopping area of the resort.
Silvertip Golf Resort will kickoff early bookings on Tuesday, February 1 for play beginning May 19. Pre-paid rounds are now being sold for $125 per round – a $50 discount for those who book early.
|TOP; silvertip Golf Resort, CENTER: Kananaskis Country Golf Course, BOTTOM: Stewart Creek Golf & Country Club.
Kananaskis Country Golf Course will offer tee times on its Mt.Lorette and Mt.Kidd courses beginning February 22 online, or via phone on February 28 for play this spring, and is actively filling its tournament schedule for the 2011 season. Individual greens fees can be purchased online for $95, or $65 for seniors and juniors and include a shared cart.
Stewart Creek Golf & Country Club is currently selling tee times for groups of 16 golfers or more and will officially open its tee sheet to all others on March 1.
To customize a stay and play package in the Canadian Rockies now, go to www.canadianrockiesgolf.ca, including the popular Heritage Classic with rounds and accommodations in this popular destination.
About Canadian Rockies Golf:
To view the stunning topography, vacation options and learn more about the area visit www.canadianrockiesgolf.ca
. Website visitors can view stay-and-play packages or request custom quotes for trips and packages or they may call 877.323.3633 for more information.
The critical acclaim and extraordinary attributes of the six members of the destination – “Canadian Rockies Golf: Historic. Dramatic. Untamed.” – include:
1. Canmore Golf and Curling Club (www.canmoregolf.net, 888.678.4785)
· Valley-based property requires players use all clubs in their bag, narrow fairways challenge all levels of golfers
· Tree-lined course, friendly community atmosphere provides intimacy and camaraderie
· Located at base of BowValley, glacier-fed streams lace through course
2. The Fairmont Banff Springs (www.fairmont.com/banffsprings, 800.441.1414)
· Historic course and Conde Nast Gold winner for its castle-like hotel, award-winning Willow Stream Spa and exquisite resort amenities
· 27 holes of golf – 18 Stanley Thompson-designed holes including the 200-yard, par-3 Devil’s Cauldron, 147 bunkers, and the 9-hole Tunnel Course
· Panoramic beauty, picturesque-mountain setting nestled between SulphurMountain and MountRundle
· Situated in BanffNational Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
· Golf Digest “Top 5 Resort in North America,” “Best 25 International Golf Hotels” and “Best 100 Courses Outside the USA” ; GOLF Magazine “Best Lodging in Canada” and “Top 3 Golf Course in Canada”
3. The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge (www.fairmont.com/jasper, 800.441.1414)
* Voted Best Golf Resort in Canada by ScoreGolf Magazine
* Featuring the “wild side of the Rockies” – elk, caribou, coyote, bear and wolves inhabit the national park
* Designed by Stanley Thompson, the 18 holes carve contours at the feet of mountains
* Located in the heart of JasperNational Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
* Golf Digest “Best 100 Courses Outside the USA”
* GOLF Magazine “Top 3 Lodging in Canada” and “Top 3 Golf Course in Canada”
4. Kananaskis Country Golf Course (www.kananaskisgolf.com, 877.591.2525)
* Robert Trent Jones Sr. exquisitely designed courses, situated in serene Kananaskis Country
* 36 holes played beneath breathtaking Mt.Lorette and Mt.Kidd, after which the courses are respectively named
* Features immaculate lush fairways, famed island-like 4th green on Mt.Kidd course, 140+ silica sand bunkers and the cascading KananaskisRiver
* 2009 Canadian PGA Professional and Merchandiser of the Year
* SCORE Golf! “Top 5 Best Public Courses to Play”
5. Silvertip Golf Resort (www.silvertipresort.com, 877.877.5444)
* Home course of PGA Tour Member and 2006 Players Champion Stephen Ames
* Golf Digest rated 4 ½ stars and lauded for environmental sensitivity and maintenance practices
* 600 feet of elevation change, including dramatic par-4 18th with extreme altitude drop from tee to fairway, fairway to green
* Wine Spectator 2009 and 2010 “List of Excellence” Award for Rustica Steakhouse
* 2009 Golf Digest Environmental Leader Award
6. Stewart Creek Golf & Country Club (www.stewartcreekgolf.com/golf, 877.993.GOLF)
* Golf Digest rated 4 ½ stars
* Surrounded by the spellbinding ThreeSistersMountains, practically close enough to touch during play
* Audubon-certified course preserves habitat for plentiful wildlife
* SCORE Golf! “Top 5 Best Public Courses to Play”