Il Borgo Resort & Village
…the place to stay in Tuscany
Story & Photos by Ed Stone
The early morning fog shrouds the valley below in mysteriousness while rays of sunshine give emphasis to this special time of day. I retrieve my breakfast basket, (specially made for me by the general manager), from my private porch on a perfect September day in Tuscany. Il Borgo resort village is the perfect place to stay when visiting the “wine country of Italy.” Tuscany is one of the more popular areas for visitors to Italy.
Located just 15 miles southwest of Florence, or as the locals call it, Firenze, the resort village is located near the town of Montagnana and situated on the grounds of a 17th century country estate. Florence’s distinguished Bossi-Pucci family established this area. Over the centuries, the estate became the largest wine producer of Chianti in the region, and its vineyards and olive groves stretch for hundreds of acres.
All rooms of Il Borgo feature fully equipped kitchens with a private terrace or balcony, large bedrooms with double beds, working fireplaces, satellite TV, telephone and Internet connections. They are tastefully decorated in the Tuscan style. Six farm buildings built around the Piazza of the village form Il Borgo Residences. Each building evokes its original use: Il Casale, where the farmers lived; Il Fienile, used for the storage of the harvest; La Torretta, used to dry fruits and tomatoes; La Tinaia, where the grapes were stored and fermented; La Cantina, where the wine was stored; and, Il Frantoio, where the olives were pressed.
Whether you are planning a visit to San Gimignano, Volterra, Siena, Florence, Pisa or other quaint villages of this region, Il Borgo is conveniently located. Our group of four used this quite place to escape the big cities for some of the best of Tuscany. Within one to five miles of the resort, some of the best restaurants can be found. We enjoyed the Torricella restaurant twice as it was less than two miles from the Il Borgo. The dining experience here epitomizes outstanding Tuscan cuisine and atmosphere. Highly recommended and one of those “not to be missed” places if you are in the area.
For visitors wanting to spend more time on the premises, the Il Borgo Resort offers courses in there own Arts and Crafts Centre. Seven courses are offered every week such as, Ceramic painting, Tuscan Art and History, Conversational Italian, Tuscan Cooking, Photography, Chianti Wine Lessons and Tuscan Watercolor Painting. Here you can open your mind and your senses to the treasures of Italy. If you've ever wanted to experience the arts and culture of Italy first-hand, Il Borgo is the place to do it.
The general manager of Il Borgo is Alessandro Guerrieri. A most affable individual with great experience in the Italian hospitality industry, he has that special way of making his guests feel welcome and comfortable. Prior to taking over the Il Borgo, he plied his trade at Villa Tavolese in Certaldo, near Florence. This property is one of four owned and operated by the Sonesta Hotel Group of Italy.
If you are planning a trip to the Il Borgo Resort Village, here are some of the most frequently asked questions:
- Which is the nearest airport to Montagnana?
- Florence "La Peretola" airport is at 30 km (18 miles) from Montagnana.
- Is there a train to Montagnana?
- Yes, the major train station is in Florence (23 km) then you can take a taxi to Il Borgo.
- Is there a bus from Firenze to Montagnana?
- Yes, the buses stop at Montagnana (200 mt).
- Can I book a car to pick me up in Florence?
- Yes, you can book a car with us (the cost is about Euro 70).
- Is there a car for hire nearby?
- You may rent a car in Florence.
- Is parking available?
- Yes, parking space is available at Il Borgo.
- Do you charge my credit card when I book?
- No, we will charge your card for one night' stay only if you do not show up or you cancel your reservation within the seven days prior your arrival. Concerning our "Lessons of Tuscany" special offers, the payment policy requires 30% deposit at confirmation and settlement 30 days prior arrival.
- Can I pay when I leave?
- No, settlement is due on arrival; you can settle your extras on departure. Concerning our "Lessons of Tuscany" special offers, the payment policy requires 30% deposit at confirmation and settlement 30 days prior arrival.
- What is your children's policy?
- Children under 3 years old are complimentary.
- Can you fit a third bed in the room?
- Sorry, we cannot fit a third bed in the room; ask us for a larger unit (a two bedroom casa).
- Can we book a car with a private driver for a tour of the Chianti region?
- Yes, you may also book an English-speaking guide with us.
- May I book a private Tuscan Cooking course during my stay?
- Do you have rooms with twin beds?
- Most of our rooms have twin beds.
- Can I connect my computer to the telephone line in the room?
- May I book an accommodation on the ground floor?
- Yes, we have units on the ground floor.
- Do you have a restaurant at Il Borgo?
- Is there a possibility to dine at Il Borgo?
- Yes, on request a Tuscan dinner may be served (Euro 35 per person).
- Is there a laundry service at Il Borgo?
- Are animals admitted?
- Are there places to eat in Montagnana?
- Yes, there is a restaurant and a pizzeria in town.
- Are there shops in Montagnana?
- Yes, there is a little shop (grocery), a cafe', a tobacconist and a post office in town.
- Tuscan Reference Library
- Exercise Room
- Hiking and walking trails located on property grounds
- Mountain bikes available free of charge
- Outdoor swimming pool with deck chairs
- Arts and Crafts Campus
• Horseback Riding: 5 minute drive (3 km)
• Tennis: 5 minute drive (3 km)
• Golf: various golf courses from 30 minutes to 1-hour drive - Golf in Tuscany
For further information and reservations contact:
Il Borgo Resort Village
Via Romita, 2A
50025 Montagnana (Fi), Italy